Saturday, November 21, 2009

~Hello....and Goodbye~

I have been blessed this week to find "the right" new/used car....the details fit for us....and so i am somewhat proudly but mostly apprehensively driving around a much better lookin car!:)

of course the story is not as simple as that...it's been a bit of an emotional experience to let go of the old car. It needed replacing...as a '96, she had seen better days. But she's also driven me through some pretty tumultuous days. Through illness and change; through numerous states of the country and through VERY many numerous states of mind!

the Corolla was bought while i still had an actual job...and i can't help but remember all of the little clients i drove around in it.

this transition was unexpectedly tricky for Mom...she was the one who had found the old car for me...and this was our last vehicle she actually drove. After all, she definitely was the "car person" in the family. Another loss. Seems little, but signifies much.

So...YES...I'm being somewhat melodramatic!...and (again) find myself facing the tendency to hold on too tightly....gotta learn to let go a little better.
I'm remembering the words to an old song: "the things of earth will dim and lose their value~when we recall they're only borrowed for awhile". True...even for mostly unimportant things like cars!:)
  • So..."Hello" to my Mazda 3I (with brand-new leather seats!)

and "Goodbye" to my faithful old Corolla...
....we'll miss you.


{i've never been a car-namer...but for some reason, i think "Maisy" might be the perfect name for this one. I must be thinking about the real Maisy, who's just lovely!:)}

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Especially the pic of you and Miss Naomi. I'm just imagining you getting that pose. =) Hoping that Maisy will prove to be as lovely as her namesake. She really is quite cute. I at least slightly understand the bittersweetness of the change. (It happened to me with my old loveseat. Weird...I know, but it took me through lots of health issues!) Anyway, I wish you the best at this point of the journey. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Kimbers,
Our Corolla was a little hard to let go of as well...first REALLY new car Tim and I bought, took us through law school and beyond, then on to be the "firm" runner car and then turned over to a close young man who was in law school and the time and needed a "dependable" ride. After all those miles (200,000+) she still ran, her outer parts did begin to fall off though. He retired her to where ever cars retire. Said young man is now Tim's associate.

You also brought back memories with Maisy...she was a fav. of my girls. I remember reading those stories to them. Hadn't thought of her is a long time. So, in the words of the old song..."thanks for the memories" and of course enjoy the new car.
Melanie

Charity said...

Maisy´s lovely- may she carry you through lots of happy days and miles!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Maisy is sharp!! ;-)

The Dickinsons said...

Happy Thanksgiving to y'all too! Thanks for your nice comment! We had a special day with Daddy and Moma, Laura and Daryl and their family, and Grandma who is
102 1/2!! =)

The Dickinsons said...

Forgot to say that I made y'all's wonderful date dip and gingersnaps while in AZ and had fond memories of y'all bringing those and yummy chicken salad sandwhiches to Ladies Missionary Band in Ponchatoula! =)